Wednesday, September 12, 2018

80's Hit Song Review: "Voice of Freedom" by Jim Kirk and the TM Singers (1980)



U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Peak Position No. 71

Backstory: Kirk produced and created a lot of music for the American Top 40 and the American Country Countdown radio shows. He also produced tons of radio jingles and television advertisements for corporations like Coca-Cola. In fact, Roy Disney even hired him as a creative director from TM Productions where Kirk did plenty of work. During that time, he and TM Productions formed a small group consisting of him, and other male and female backup singers who were both grown adults and young elementary school age children, who later performed this song to benefit the American Red Cross. It was their only ever single released, and no albums were ever released by them either.

The Review: As much as I hate to admit it, I honestly don't mind this song too much. Sure, the child singers and cheese factor of this song are incredibly high and cringeworthy, but that being said, it's not too bad. It is well recorded and well produced as well, and it makes me proud to be an American. If the Disney Channel existed during this time (it wasn't created until 3 years later in 1983), it could've gotten television airplay on that channel. (Actually, this song was performed on one American talk show, and a clip of it even exists on YouTube.) The adult singers definitely aren't bad. But of course, this is absolutely NOTHING that I'd want to play in my free time.

Final rating:5/10

And as always, don't forget to comment down your opinion on this tune below.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, golly, this one.... I don't know, man. I guess I can appreciate the base-level competence of the (grown-up) singers and musicians. But that's all I can say in its favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting, I sang this in an elementary choir, and the song has been ringing in my mind. I want to live in this America.

    ReplyDelete